Tips for Hiring a Painting Contractor
(ARA) - Painting is one of the most popular home improvement projects you can undertake, but it can be more difficult than you might think. Whether youíre planning an interior or exterior painting project, hiring a painting contractor will save a lot of time and energy in the long run.
Before you hire a painting contractor, there are some things you should take into consideration:
* How long has the contractor been in business? There can be a high turnover rate in the painting industry. Be sure to hire someone who has been operating for at least two to three years.
* Are employees experienced painters? Make sure the company hires skilled workers. Ask what training or qualifications they have.
* Does the contractor have insurance? It is absolutely critical that they have the necessary insurance. A reputable, licensed painting contractor will have coverage. Remember, it protects him and any workers he may have on site, as well as you.
* What kind of preparation work does the painting contractor do? A cheaper job will skimp on the prep work to cut corners. A good contractor will take the time to do everything the way it should be done. The workmanship will show in the end, good or bad.
* Can they provide a list of references? Once you have the references in hand, call them.
* Can the painting contractor make recommendations on what materials will work best for your project? A professional keeps up-to-date on the latest products and techniques, makes suggestions for colors and finishes, and is knowledgeable about the latest trends. Experience counts.
* Make sure they put everything in writing. A professional provides customers with written contracts and specifications.
* Will they offer a maintenance program? Some will, itís worth asking.
* How much do they charge? Getting the lowest price should not be your first consideration. You want to get someone with skill, experience, insurance, awareness of safety issues and good workers. That will not likely be the guy with the lowest bid. It doesnít need to be the highest bid either. Just be sure not to hire on price alone. Look at the whole picture. Painters operate on very tight profit margins. Some homeowners hire college students and are happy with the work. If the price seems too good to be true, however, it probably is.
Now that you know how to look for a good contractor, where can you go to find one? At RenovationExperts.com you can get free estimates from contractors in your area who are prescreened for experience, licenses and insurance.
Renovation Experts is a premium network of over 3,000 remodeling contractors, who carry out remodeling projects for any part of the house, from attic to basement.
Locate and hire a contractor, get an estimate for your project and do it with the peace of mind that comes with knowing youíre using professionals.
Log on to www.renovationexperts.com, describe your project and sign in. They will send you at least four possible contractors for the project within 48 hours. You decide who you want to use. There is no obligation -- just competitive prices for you to get the job done right.
Copyright © 2007, ARAnet, inc.
About Us | Advertise | Join Network | Network Map | Other Resources
OTHER TOPICS: Home Decoration | Bathroom Design & Remodeling | D.I.Y. Lighting Projects |
For Area Rugs Collectors | Small Office Home Office (SOHO) | Organize Home Space |
table Games | Real Estate Investing | Home Safety | Gardening Specific